by Elias Deukmajian | Kitchen Remodel
Kitchen remodel projects are a time for new growth and excitement – said no one ever! The truth is, if you’ve been through any kind of remodel project, you’ll likely encounter a fair amount of stress and upheaval of your daily life. The good news is that if you know what to expect, then you can adequately prepare for it. First, know that things may happen that are out of your control; therefore, rule number one is: expect the unexpected and go with the flow. There are more helpful guidelines to abide by that will certainly help reduce stress throughout your kitchen remodel project. Here are just a few ones that remodelers swear by:
1. Solidify a realistic range for your budget – establishing a budget is usually one of the more stressful elements of any remodel. Deciding that you want to undertake the financial obligations that come with such a project is initially a difficult decision to come to; however, setting a realistic budget is another animal all together. Be sure to collaborate with remodeling professionals who will advise you to include some wiggle room in an effective budget for the inevitable “surprise” issues that typically come up in any remodel.
2. Set manageable goals – not every home will easily allow for certain remodeling goals, and if that’s the case, then it’s usually best to work with what you’ve got and make the most out of it. You’d be surprised what can be done with even the smallest of kitchens with the right professional help! Setting manageable goals for your remodel will limit disappointments, challenging hurdles to overcome, and of course, overall stress.
3. Make a plan and stick to it – unnecessary, last minute changes in kitchen remodels are usually the death of a well-established budget and design plan. It’s important to spend the time creating a layout and design that is feasible and attainable as well as budget-friendly. Stick to your plan, and don’t let pesky onlookers sway your plan with their billions of concerns and suggestions. This likely requires a bit of research, investigation, and consulting with professionals.
4. Conduct a thorough inspection of your home in the initial stages – unforeseen issues in construction are a huge impediment to the remodel process, and certainly create a ton of undue stress. With the right construction professionals, you’ll be able to sus out any potential hazards, issues, or design flaws from the get-go. Unfortunately, sometimes these issues are impossible to foresee, and in such instances, revert back to our original piece of advice – expect the unexpected and try to go with the flow. There is always the possibility that you may have a setback in your budget; you’ll cross that bridge when you get there – and you’ll live to tell about it.
5. Get out of the house as much as possible – your home may be somewhat inhabitable for a temporary period of time while it is under construction. Kitchen remodels usually only make the kitchen a difficult place to be, which is actually a good thing – maybe you’ll get to spend a little more time going out with your family, going to friends’ and family’s houses for meals, or brushing up on your recipe collection until you can put them to good use in a brand new space. Getting out of the construction zone is good for your well-being – a little “out of sight, out of mind” couldn’t hurt.
6. Rely on professional help – we’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: with the right professional help, your potentially stressful kitchen remodel will go much smoother. Companies with plenty of kitchen remodel experience are an essential asset to have in such projects, as they can ease your stress by finding effective solutions to unforeseen issues, coming up with efficient designs, and tackling challenging problems with accuracy – all while sticking to your budget and preferences.
How to get started
Here at Kitchen Emporium, we know that getting started on a kitchen remodel is half the battle. Serving the range of areas in Southern California, including: the San Fernando Valley, San Diego, and San Marcos, CA, we have plenty of experience and countless successful kitchen remodels that always leave our clients satisfied. If you need help getting started with your kitchen remodel, please contact one of our helpful professionals directly.